In 1931, William Teasdale Armstrong, a highly respected craftsman and
a C.G. Conn shop foreman, founded his small flute repair shop in
Elkhart, Indiana. Word of his skill and uncompromising commitment to
quality quickly spread, and it wasn’t long before he was asked to
manufacture instruments for professional musicians.
The proud Armstrong heritage passed on to son Edward, who apprenticed
under his father and shared his father’s attention to detail regarding
quality. Edward’s concern for quality went well beyond the crafting of
professional level instruments. He recognized a need to provide quality
instruments to a rapidly growing number of students and community
In the 1970s, Armstrong developed a “new” flute scale in conjunction
with Albert Cooper. Prior to this new scale, flute makers would correct
the tuning of A=435 commonly found on flutes by cutting the end of the
headjoint to bring pitch up to A=440. While this served to correct the
pitch in the center registers, all other octaves did not play in tune.
Armstrong and Cooper collaborated together to create a whole new flute
with improved performance. Changes would include a tapered headjoint,
alterations to dimension of tone holes and tone hole placement. This
redesigned flute would become today’s 102, 103, and 104 model flute
Armstrong, now part of the Conn-Selmer family, continues to produce outstanding student and step-up flutes upon which music teachers and students have come to rely.